Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Giving Tree

(I need to add "Give Thanks" to the trunk.)
After I made my Pottery Barn inspired Halloween sign I was excited to make their Giving Tree. I love, love, love how it turned out. The idea is that each day for the month of November each member of your family writes something they are grateful for and puts it inside the leaf pocket for that day. This is going to be a new tradition in our household. I am going to save the papers and put them in a book. I hope this helps me teach my children to be grateful not just this month, but all year long.

My friend http://www.arainydaymom.blogspot.com/ hosted Craft Night last week and helped us make our Giving Trees. Leanna did all the prep work, including making the leaf pattern and free-handing the tree top and trunk. She used muslin fabric to make a pattern for us to use that night. I used Leanna's scraps for the leaves so I really didn't have to think on this one--I loved everything she picked out. Thanks Leanna for making this project so much easier! It was a lot of fun!

I placed it next to the Blessings Board.

Tips:
-Use fusible interfacing to make your leaves stiffer (it's iron on stuff from Joann's--no sewing)
-For a rustic-stitched look use embroidery thread on the numbers and/or letters ($0.37 at Joann's)
-Hang with 3M Picture Hangers (I need to add them on the bottom)
-The leaves and everything else were glued together using FabriTac
-The leaves are the pockets so make sure to leave an opening
-It is a time consuming project so get the hubs (or a friend) to help you cut out leaves while watching a movie. It might take a few movies.
Check back soon for my version of this Christmas advent!
PS-The lovely ladies at Bloom featured our Play Room Dress Up area today. Check out Bloom HERE.

4 comments:

The Crum Family said...

It looks great!! Excited for the advent tree!!

leemeandthegirls said...

That is so adorable! What a great idea!

Suzanne said...

Your giving tree is a fabulous idea -- so original!

michaela said...

I love this! I think it is the perfect Thanksgiving decor to remind us to really give thanks. I am now a follower! Feel free to stop by my little bloggy any time!